Crossed Wires: Online Maintenance Human Factors Training Video
In need of inspiration for your maintenance human factor continuation training? Why not use this free CASA HF video?: ‘Crossed Wires’
The 8.5 minute video from 2013 portrays the incubation of an incident at the fictitious Perfect Twins maintenance organisation.
As part of a workshop activity participants could note down the human performance influencing factors and risk inducing behaviours as they occur.
Then discuss these as a group afterwards and consider what controls your organisation has (or hasn’t!) got in place.
The video supports the CASA Safety Behaviours: Human Factors for Engineers resource kit that includes a detailed HF guide, facilitator’s guide and participant workbook, with other ideas to exploit the video.
It can be followed by this, admittedly slightly idealistic, shorter video on how things could be at Perfect Twins Maintenance in which the maintenance manager in particular demonstrates safety awareness, safety leadership, improved communications skills and assertiveness:
Extra Maintenance Continuation Training Resources
For further inspiration see our articles:
- Critical Maintenance Tasks: EASA Part-M & -145 Change
- Airworthiness Matters: Next Generation Maintenance Human Factors
- James Reason’s 12 Principles of Error Management
- Back to the Future: Error Management
- The Power of Safety Leadership: Paul O’Neill, Safety and Alcoa an example of the value of strong safety leadership and a clear safety vision.
- Aircraft Maintenance: Going for Gold? looking at some lessons from championship athletes we should consider.
- Plus this book review The Field Guide to Understanding Human Error by Dekker, presented to the RAeS in 2006: The Field Guide to Understanding Human Error – A Review
There are also these free case studies, already used by other maintenance organisations for continuation training, you can discuss:
- Misassembled Anti-Torque Pedals Cause EC135 Accident
- EC130B4 Accident: Incorrect TRDS Bearing Installation and
- Misrigged Flying Controls: Fatal Maintenance Check Flight Accident which shows how the incident at Perfect Twins Maintenance could have turned out
But don’t forget to discuss your own hazard and occurrence reports!