NYPD Bell 429 Accident at Manhattan Heliport “Overapplication of Flight Controls” (N920PD)
On 13 December 2021 New York City Police Department (NYPD) Bell 429 N920PD was damaged while landing at the Downtown Manhattan Wall Street Heliport, NY. The US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) explain in their safety investigation report (issued 14 June 2022) that:
The pilot reported that during landing and once established directly over the helipad, he proceeded to hover taxi over to the assigned landing location, but during touchdown the helicopter unexpectedly shifted forward, rotating onto the front skids, then began to oscillate.
The crew heard a loud “bang” and subsequently the helicopter became airborne briefly before settling down hard on the pavement and the helicopter started to go into ground resonance, becoming uncontrollable. The pilot reported that the helipad was congested with several other aircraft on the ground and two preparing to land, so when the helicopter became uncontrollable, he “dumped” the collective and rolled back the throttle.
During the oscillations, the main rotor blades stuck the wire strike protection system, which resulted in substantial damage to the rotor blades.
As well as damage to all four main rotor blades and the WSPS, the landing skids collapsed, the cockpit centre pedestal supports were bent, there was fuselage cracking, damage to the MX-10 turret and an antenna, and leaks of fuel and hydraulic fluid.
NTSB Probable Cause
The pilots overapplication of flight controls during landing, which resulted in the rotor blades contacting the wire strike protection system and subsequent hard landing.
- Erratic Flight in Marginal Visibility over New York Ends in Tragedy
- Inadvertent PTT Pedal Input Causes Tail Rotor Tailboom Contact
- Loose Clothing Downs Marijuana Survey Helicopter
- HEMS A109S Night Loss of Control Inflight
- Air Ambulance A109S Spatial Disorientation in Night IMC
- A HEMS Helicopter Had a Lucky Escape During a NVIS Approach to its Home Base
- Air Ambulance Helicopter Struck Ground During Go-Around after NVIS Inadvertent IMC Entry
- CFIT Gangnam Style – Korean S-76C++ and Decision Making
- Fatal B206L3 Cell Phone Discount Distracted CFIT
- US Air Ambulance Helicopter Hospital Heliport Tail Strike
- Air Ambulance B407 Hospital Helipad Deck Edge Tail Strike During Shallow Approach
- Air Methods AS350B3 Air Ambulance Tucson Tail Strike
- NTSB on LA A109S Rooftop Hospital Helipad Landing Accident
- Air Ambulance Leaps into Air: Misrigged Flying Controls
- US Air Ambulance Near Miss with Zip Wire and High ROD Impact at High Density Altitude
- Hanging on the Telephone… HEMS Wirestrike
- Air Ambulance Helicopter Downed by Fencing FOD
- Ambulance / Air Ambulance Collision
- Beware Last Minute Changes in Plan
- Grand Canyon Air Tour Tragic Tailwind Landing Accident
- Pedestrian Seriously Injured by Air Ambulance Landing at Melbourne Hospital
- RLC B407 Reverses into Sister Ship at GOM Heliport
- Wire Strike on Unfamiliar Approach Direction to a Familiar Site
- Tool Bag Takes Out Tail Rotor: Fatal AS350B2 Accident, Tweed, ON
- When Habits Kill – Canadian MD500 Accident
- EC120 Forgotten Walkaround
- UPDATE 2 July 2022: Fatal EC130B4 Water Impact in the Tennessee River after “Entry to VRS” Say NTSB